Saturday, September 1, 2007

It's football time in TN






Growing up in a household of girls, I don't fully get this! The guys watched lots of football today - including Nebraska's season opener. They played during half times. Adam tried to tell Joseph that there is "no crying in football". Joseph nor I agreed.

I did become nostalgic though. Remembering the first time I cheered for our high school ninth grade team (when I was in school, 9th graders were not eligible for Varsity Football or cheerleading). Our cheerleading sponsor was new and knew nothing about cheerleading. She had us cheer the entire game facing the field, instead of the crowd. None of us understood the game, so we cheered "1st and 10 do it again",when we were playing defense and "Block that Kick" for no reason in the middle of the game.

Then there was our first Varsity Football game in 10th grade. The guys in the stands started cheering for me. I was very pleased with all of the attention, until our varsity sponsor (who, by the way, knew a lot more than the 9th grade sponsor) gave me a horrible look and pointed to her chest. I looked down and 2 buttons of my vest were undone!

2 comments:

Donna said...

Scott gets all psyched up during football season, too! Scott has been especially excited since our TV's picture tube was on the fritz. He bought a new HDTV, just in time to watch the TN-Cal game. He was all excited about installing a new HDTV antenna on top of the house also. No more cable bill!

I remember being totally clueless about what I was cheering for in 7th and 9th grade too, Ruth. That is hilarious!

Unknown said...

Poor JoJo. He looks so very sad! I miss football season in Chattanooga..something about it. The air is so crisp and fall is everywhere. Thankfully, I have a bit of that here in VA. I must enjoy it because next year, there will be no football weather!