Wednesday, May 23, 2007

poison ivy - itch, ouch!

Since I previously wrote about aging, it would be appropriate to start listing my ailments. This week, it's my neck, my chin, my hips, my back, my inner thighs, and behind my knees. .... covered in poison ivy.

I know that I did not touch any. But I did stand close to our treeline, and if the wind was blowing, I'm sure that oily powder must have blown all over me! I got another shot yesterday. I've gone twice over the past few weeks for immunizations. Yesterday was my 3rd trip... and I got a cortizone shot. It didn't do the trick, so I started on Prednisone today.

In case you don't know what to stay away from, Here's a tip: stay away from any 3 or 5 leafed plant. Or if you are as allergic as me, stay away from anything green!
click here for pictures of the plant.

6 comments:

Keri said...

Oh, Ruth! You poor thing. I get poison ivy every summer from our cat. He plays in it, then comes inside with it on his fur. Thankfully, the kids nor David have ever gotten it, but I feel your pain. Ugh. I'm so sorry. I have found that wearing pants and keeping the rashes covered with clothing keep me from scratching and spreading it further. Also, be careful with your loofah thingy in the shower because it can spread the rash to other places.

I'm so sorry. And just as you're getting ready for your trip to Mexico! Ugh.

Donna said...

I am so sorry the shot didn't help! That is so miserable to feel itchy all the time while trying your hardest not to scratch it! I hope you got a supply of prednisone pills, that is what worked for me last summer.

Laura said...

What works for me is to hold the rash under hot water (slowly get it as hot as you can stand it) for a few minutes. It temporarily stops the itching for a few hours.

Unknown said...

Wow. You really do get it just from blowing wind. It is quite unreal. I am sorry you are suffering. Hopefully, it clears up before you leave. Stay away from the green stuff :)

What happened to your last blog? I was going to comment. Did you remove it?

Lance said...

Sorry to hear about the poison ivy. I hope you get to feeling better.

I liked your last (deleted) blog. Thanks for sharing. Although I don't feel I would be helpful, I was planning to comment also.

Just in case I don't write again... Please know that you and your team will be in our family's thoughts and prayers during your trip to Mexico!

oofie goofie said...

I decided that it might not be in the best of taste to mention this person in a way that many (probably not anybody who reads this, though) could figure out who he was. But if you have thoughts, I'd love to hear them. You can comment here- since you know the story - I just don't want to republish the entry for anyone else to see.