Saturday, May 12, 2007

Old Names

Yesterday, I picked my nephew up from elementary school. He is in the 1st grade and received his yearbook yesterday. On the way home, I asked him who his best friends were. He said, "Edgar, Larry, Elmer and Sheila". I found these names odd for 6 and 7 year olds. When we got home, he showed me their pictures. They were all hispanic. I was telling Adam how interesting that all of these children had names that were 2 or 3 generations older than them, to which Adam replied, "kind-of like you?"

In college, Adam and I had a lot of the same friends, but did not know each other. I remember him my freshman year as a tall basketball-hip-hop kind of guy. He dated an aquaintance of mine who lived in a nearby dorm. Apparently, my Sophomore year, he almost hit me with his car in the parking lot next to Cadek. I smiled at him instead of flipping him off and made an impression.

At the end of our Junior year, he decided that he wanted to date a "nice, christian girl". His mother later told me that he wanted to ask me out, but couldn't get past my old, old name. She reminded him that his is THE oldest name!

4 comments:

Keri said...

That's hilarious. I like your name. And you have such great style that you give your name a beautiful connotation. ;)

Donna said...

On the way home from church today, we were listening to Veggie Tales. The song, "I Love My Lips", has a part that says, "My Great Aunt Ruth / She has a beard / Its kind of weird. Funny!

I have one of those names that are a couple generations off too!

oofie goofie said...

Donna, Colin sings that to me all the time. When Amy needs to send me to pick him up from school, the office will call his room over the intercom and tell him that Aunt Ruth will pick him up. One time he said the whole class starting singing of my beard.

Lisa said...

Too funny! I like your name too, and don't think it's old fashioned. Most Bible names are classics that don't get old! :)