Thursday, May 10, 2007

Kids do the darndest things

Yesterday in Bible Study we looked at the life of Joseph in Genesis. It made me think of a funny story of each of my boys:

1. When Jack was about three, I gave him a candy-striped sweater of blue, green, red and yellow. He was very excited about it, not usual for a 3-year-old boy. All day, he was very snuggly with me. He asked me if he was my favorite. I told him that he was my favorite 3-year-old boy. That night, he raised his arms and I pulled his sweater over his head. He looked at me with a sad face and said "Where are you putting my coat of many colors?"

2. Two years ago our church put on a music camp: Joseph from the Pit to the Palace. Hannah and Jack were both in the camp, but our Joseph was only 2 and a half and too young. We received a cd so that Hannah and Jack could practice the songs for the musical. They played the cd for the first time one morning as I was getting ready and Joseph was sleeping in my bed. Joseph woke up with a start and a huge grin on his face as the first song began "Joseph, welcome to your party" He thought it was a message to him. He was disappointed to realize the song was not about him.

Now for a funny Hannah story that has nothing to do with Joseph.

When Hannah was 3, she and I were crafty one morning and made a piggy bank out of an apple juice bottle. The lid was the nose, It had button eyes and Pink fabric ears. It was clear, so she could see how much money she had without opening it. Hannah has always enjoyed playing with and making things out of garbage. She searched the house for "treasures" to place in her piggy bank; buttons, coins, tokens, old keys, etc. That night, my Dad, Uncle from PA, and grandmother came to visit. Hannah excitedly brought out her piggy bank and it circled the room as she showed it to each person. After everyone left, I was putting the bank in her room and my stomach sank as I realized that she had found a "treasure" from our room - a condom wrapper - plain as day, in that clear bank!

3 comments:

Donna said...

That is hilarious, Ruth! Thanks, I needed a good laugh today!

Lisa said...

Those are all so good-I think Hannah's is definitely the funniest though!! : )

Keri said...

That is hilarious. My favorite part, though, is that I can hear your voice telling those stories, which makes me smile because I'll still be able to hear you when I'm in Spain. :)
Love, Keri