Tuesday, May 22, 2007

but first, a mission at home?

As many of you know, our church is sending a mission team to Acapulco, Mexico next week to work at an orphanage and with street children. I am thankful to have the privelege of being on that team. I am also very thankful to announce that the Lord raised all my support!!!!!! I've been busy preparing for this trip, and was reminded of an opportunity right under my nose.

Last Wednesday, an 84 year old, completed Jewish woman spoke to our Bible Study. She told her testimony of how she came to Christ... Her husband was working in Atlanta. Another lady with a burden to share Christ with Jews began visiting him. He believed in Christ. And eventually, her eyes were open to Christ. Now she has a burden to reach Jews for Christ. She told us that we should love Israel, and not be afraid to share Christ with our Jewish friends.

Well, I have a Jewish neighbor... for 3 more days. I have really dropped the ball with him the past couple of years. Part of it is that he's a man, only a couple of years older than me... and I wonder how appropriate it would be for me to talk to him. I'm also a bit intimidated by him. I don't want to make things hard on his wife, who is a believer, but is not involved in fellowship...so as not to create problems with him. But are these just rationalizations? Excuses?

They are moving out of state on Thursday or Friday. Please pray that the Lord will give me an opportunity in this super busy week, and the courage to speak boldly of Christ. He has let his daughter go to church with us for the past year and a half... so he must be somewhat open. He can hate me... I know that the Lord does not need me. But what if He has chosen me to tell this man, and I am disobedient.... He will use someone else, but I'll have the regret of disobeying.

Also, what if the opportunity does not arise naturally? Should I create an opportunity instead of waiting for the situation to present itself perfectly tied in a bow. Or can I pray for that family and have peace that the Lord was not calling me to that task?

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow, what a question to pose to us! (I'm feeling even more foolish about my fluff post.)

I think sometimes BEING a good witness is undervalued. Taking the daughter to church and approaching the family in a loving and embracing way, instead of a judgmental and condemning way, has probably already shown him something about you. This may allow your neighbor to be more open, if the opportunity arrises, for you to share a bit more of your beliefs with him.