Friday, July 20, 2007





We've had an interesting week. On Saturday, we went to Movies in the Park to watch Over the Hedge. Every Saturday in July at dark, First Things First shows a family movie. It really is a lot of fun to sit on a picnic blanket among hundreds of Chattanooga families to watch a movie. I do get a bit tense, because so many small children get separated from their families. This time, before the movie they were looking for one child, they called for 2 children during the movie and another after. I truly hope that all of the children were reunited with their families!

Last summer, we were one of those families. It was a case of everyone thought that the other was watching Joseph. Joseph loves to wander and do whatever he wants. He could have been gone for 2 or 3 minutes before anyone realized. We looked frantically for him. We involved the police. It was about to get dark. We were beside the river, there are lots of parking areas all around. During those ten minutes, I was imagining what life was going to be like with out him. Wondering how long it would be so horrible... probably much like the parents who lost their children this week.

On Wednesday, we were at church... as a person responsible for enforcing church policies regarding children, I made a STUPID mistake! I left my children unattended in a room to eat lunch while I was down the hall in a meeting. My children can not handle that much responsiblity and I know it. They had strict rules to stay in the room. No horse-playing, running, fighting. Just eat their lunch, throw it away, and play a game. Well, we ended up at the doctor, with Joseph getting 3 stitches in his head. A boy came by and was spitting on Hannah, she took off running out of the room and knocked Joseph into the doorframe, busting his head open. I know that it is my fault, but I'm so frustrated that I can not take my eyes off of them.

Thursday got better, we went to Dalton again. There was a medical missions team there for the week from Mercer University. We played with the kids and did a craft.

The van ride back reminded me of the beginning of the Veggie Tales movie:Jonah.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad JoJo is ok...and you are, too. It sounds like a terrible day :( You are a great mom with incredibly well mannerred, sweet children. Have faith that you are doing so much right by them! I am sure it is frustrating..and I will be writing the same thing in just a few years.

BTW, great job Jack on holding EmmaKate. That is so sweet! I am jealous.

Hugs,
Erica

Unknown said...

The video is just like Veggies! I loved it!

Keri said...

Oh, sweet Ruth. I share your nervousness completely! I'm always nervous in a crowd, especially with my kids. I second what Erica said - have faith that you do so much right with your kids. Thanks for being vulnerable here, though.
Love you.
Keri