Friday, April 27, 2007

The Lord stretches our money!

I'm so excited about going to Mexico in 29 days! 4 of us from our church and 2 from a PCA in Knoxville are going to work in an orphanage -doing light construction and VBS and will also spend a day at the drop-in daycenter for homeless children.

In preparing, we had to get a passport ($210 expedited), immunizations, a list of personal supplies, and pay just under $1200 for the trip. I'm looking to the Lord to provide much of my trip fee, and wanted to share how the Lord is stretching our money to buy supplies.

First, I needed 2 one-piece bathing suits. Mine are tankinis and are not appropriate for the MTW requirements. I found 2 brand new suits on Lands End overstocks; one for $12.99, the other for $24.99.

We were told to bring our own twin bedding, to use and then donate to the kids. While visiting my neighbor's yard sale on Saturday, I found the cutest Sesame Street bedding. I went to buy it and told her what for and she let me have it.

I also needed to get 100% cotton khaki pants for the construction work. We were encouraged to pack clothes that we could leave behind. I got 4 pairs of name brand khakis, 3 pairs of name brand shorts and 2 tanks at the Bargain Mart for $32. I had never been there before, but will go back!

Today, I needed to go grocery shopping. We had not been in a WHILE!!!! I filled the cart to overflowing for $175 at Aldi - it would have cost close to $250 at Walmart.

Our finances would never work out on paper. We are so thankful that He multiplies our resources as He did the fish and the loaves!

3 comments:

Keri said...

I love this. You have shared before about how God provides for you in stretching your dollars. It's always so encouraging. :)
Love you.
Keri

Lisa said...

When we take the time to look, it's always such a blessing to see how the Lord meets our needs. Somehow we can get so stressed out about money when it all belongs to Him anyway!

Melissa said...

Cute swimsuits! Thanks for the heads up - but my husband works for MTW and says tankinis are fine as long as they cover everything.