Sunday, April 15, 2007

How much would you pay to worship?

This morning, on the way to church, an object seemed to be kicked up under the body of our car. We did not worry too much about it, as the car continued to drive fine. Adam dropped the kids and I off at church and, as is his ritual, went to McDonalds for a quiet breakfast alone.

He ate his breakfast and went to the van to return to church in time for Worship, only to find that the tire had a huge, unfixable gash and was completely deflated. He was unable to find the spare tire and planned to call a tow truck.

Deacon Wayne graciously drove to McDonalds and found the spare and helped him out. Adam proceeded to Walmart where they replaced the tire (which was only 9 months old)... to the tune of $80.

Adam did make it to church during the last hymn.

On the way home, I was confronted with this thought: If we had known that our 7 mile drive to church would cost $80, would we have stayed home?

Contrasted with the thought of those in other parts of the world, who are prepared to risk death in order to worship Christ. And many pay that price of risking their lives any chance they can corporately Worship Him.

It makes me think!

2 comments:

Donna said...

I love how you think, Ruth! Such a wonderful, positive way to look at your flat tire experience!

Keri said...

Hm. I've thought about that, too, when I was in college and was looking at churches. I considered Lookout Pres, but felt like it was so far to drive 30 - 40 minutes one way. I thought of those same people in other parts of the world who wouldn't hesitate to walk for two days in the rain to go to a church service and I didn't want to drive for 40 minutes in my air conditioned car...