Monday, October 29, 2007

It's good to let go

Last weekend we were getting ready to babysit my niece so that Amy and Joel could go out for only the 2nd time since her birth. They needed it! but I started thinking, "we need it too". As I sat feeling sorry for ourselves, Adam's Mom called and asked if they could take the kids for the following weekend.

A year ago, I would have asked what they thought of staying with us and letting us go out on Saturday night. I would not have been real enthused about sending the children with them 3 and a half hours away for 2 days and all of the travel involved. I could have easily used the Fall Festival at church as a reason why this weekend would not have been the best.

After hearing of all of these young mothers who have died in the past months, (see Keri's post) and knowing one personally... I'm realizing how important it is to not hold our children too tightly... to encourage relationships with other family members and trusted adults... to enjoy the times we do have together.

It is so easy for moms of young children to let our role as a mother define us completely... to pour all of ourselves into our children... even to become co-dependent with our children. I have headed down that path many times.

Adam and I went to eat downtown at Taco Mac on Friday night - we would highly recommend that restaurant by the way... the prices are very low and food is very good! Then we walked around the city. On Saturday, we had a lazy day... we did our own thing from about noon - 5 and then headed over the river to meet friends for dinner and a movie.

The children and their grandparents had a great time together! They always do!

Next weekend is the women's retreat and another weekend away - I better enjoy the kids during the week and be thankful for times to build our marriage and time to build friendships... and remember during the rest of the year to prioritize my relationship with my children (although let the Lord have position one, and my husband position two), yet not allow them to be center of my universe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouraging words. You know I need this lesson more than most! Much Love!
E