Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Seeing new things

I am trying to be disciplined and systematically read the Bible cover-to-cover, first I read the chapter in Spanish, then I read it from my ESV in English to make sure that I am understanding correctly. I am currently still in Genesis and have been amazed at how many new things have jumped out at me!

Today, I was reading about Noah after the flood. I remember the facts, but the point to me today was different. Noah became a worker of the land, and planted a vineyard. One night, he became drunk and "lay uncovered in his tent". Ham saw him and told his brothers. Shem and Japeth did not look at their father but walked toward him backwards and covered him.

The sin that was cursed in this passage, was not the drunkeness of Noah (the only faithful man that God could find.... yet he was a sinner)... but the judgement and the lack of respect and honor that Ham displayed in exploiting his father's sin to his brothers.

I related most with Ham, and wondered if I might have done the same thing.... just as I relate to the older brother in the story of the Prodigal son. Just another reminder of how repulsive self-righteosness is to God... and that I need to repent!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Ruth how wonderful and yet hard it is when God reveals to us the things we need to repent of. I too am reminded of the self-righteous attitude that I have.
It's also great when God brings things to light that we haven't noticed before in His word. Thank you for sharing.
Kathy

Laura said...

It's so interesting that you posted on this topic. I have not been reading Genesis, but have been tossing around (in my head) a similar theme.

I first was thinking how put-off I am by people who are very judgmental. I feel that as soon as I am not in their company, they will make remarks about all the things I do wrong. So, I kind of want to avoid them. But then, I started wondering if I ever come across the same way. Even in criticizing the judgmental. I resolved to attempt to focus more on myself and less on how others are speaking and/or behaving.