Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Special Jewelry

At the Women's Retreat, our speaker encouraged us to "give our children the blessing".

Well, Hannah and I have a lot of friction in our relationship. It seems like ever since she was born she has shown and told me "I don't need you". I try to show her that I care, and she pushes me away most of the time. We do have those moments of warmth and we do have some fun times together.... but they are quickly over and she doesn't remember them as she continually asks me, "Why are you always so mean?"

I can accept this though,because left to her own devices, she'd be in a world of trouble. For instance, last weekend I came home from taking Jack to a birthday party, to find her in the kitchen eating a lolly-pop and drinking sugar water, as Adam watched his football game. She has not developed enough self-control for me to not "be mean".

So, I said, "Hannah, if I could choose a daughter from all the little girls in the world, I'd choose you" She said, "what-ever"

I tried it again the next day. She did not respond, but she didn't shoot me down either. That night, she went to the mall with her friend. She had $5 from her grandparents and $2 from me (aren't I generous :) ?)

This is what she came home with, a gift for me:


Last evening, Hannah and Jack both came down with fevers. They had been outside playing since school and came in for dinner complaining of headaches. Today we stayed in. I was looking through our closet and found a bag of beads and partially made jewelry from the days of mine and Charla's jewelry business: Sentimental Strands. I decided to finish this necklace. It is the first thing I have made in 6 years!




PS- Hannah and Jack are laying around, but are feeling much better. They should be back to school tomorrow!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good girl, Hannah. I am proud of you. It is often hard to show those we love the most how much we actually do. I am proud of you for trying to let your incredible mom know just how much she really means to you.

Keri said...

How encouraging for all of us with daughters. That bracelet is so sweet!

Donna said...

That is such a sweet story and a beautiful bracelet and necklace! Shelby and I struggle with the same issues. She has already told me she hates me. (But she hasn't called me mean, yet. I would rather be called mean!)