Friday, August 31, 2007

"Ruth,why do you even open your mouth?"

...said one of Adam's good friends (who I have known since highschool)several months ago, after I had unwittingly inserted my foot into my mouth.

Another friend reminded me the other day about how I had said something offensive to her. I asked her if she had been a softball player. My intended meaning: you are so fit and muscular- Her intreptation: you are stubby and masculine.

Then yesterday, I saw a lady at school who has brought a little girl to our church Music Camp the past three years. She looked at me as if she was trying to place me. I said, "I know you from our church's Music Camp, you are ______'s grandmother." She said "mother", so I said, "mother" I'm not sure what all I said next, but I started talking about as many things I could think about in 45 seconds, hoping she'd forget my faux pas.

At my 10 year highschool reunion I saw a girl who I had heard, months earlier, was pregnant. I said, "when are you due?" She informed me that the baby was a few months old. Not sure whether to just shut my mouth at that point or try to make it right, I went on, "You are sitting down, and I couldn't tell that you were pregnant, but wanted to ask about the baby since I had heard a while back that you were expecting." UGGHHH!!!!!!

I don't always realize when the words that have slid out of my mouth are offensive. Sometimes I become over-sensitive and make a big deal out of something that could have been taken wrong, but wasn't. It's hard to know when to call someone and apologize and when to let it go.

I will try to work harder, to "be slow to speak", and I ask for grace and forgivness from you friends, if I have ever offended you. 99.999999% of the time, it was completely unitentional!!!!!!

3 comments:

Keri said...

Oh, Ruth. What a vulnerable post. I can relate, except that my issue is sarcasm and a cutting wit. I say things to people, then think, "I hope they knew I was just being sarcastic, and not making fun of them!" I guess that's why James says that about taming the tongue.

Unknown said...

I am pretty sure that everyone that knows you knows that your intentions are always genuine and kind hearted. I am sure you are forgiven for you faux pas before it even comes out :) But dont you dare call me a softball player :) hehe

Donna said...

That makes me feel so much better knowing you do the same thing I do so often! I remember one of the first times I talked to you in the church parking lot. I said something stereotypical that I felt may have offended you. I remember remember doing that same thing and talking a mile a minute after that trying to change the subject. I am sorry if I offended you!